Twitter now stands at over 15m users in the UK from figures produced September 2013. With this growing social media networking becoming more and more important in the everyday lives of consumers and businesses, let’s run through some useful hints and tips for Twitter:
- Keep your Tweets brief is you can and grab people’s attention with headline comments. Think ‘Half price cycle hire every Tuesday!‘ rather than ‘All our bicycles are now at half price rate for hiring each and every Tuesday.“
- Hashtag is key, use them for relevant words you want people to find.
- Be social and use the reTweet facility as this builds relationships and shows you are paying attention.
- If you can not be there to Tweet all the time then think about scheduling content. Social Media never sleeps so stretch this thought to accommodate our of office hours coverage and weekends – How often do you sit of an evening time with a mobile in your hand checking Twitter whilst watching TV?
- Experiment with your scheduling to find the best time to Tweet for the most engagement. Choose to use analytics to support your choice.
- Share not only just Tweets, but also blogs, news articles, images and videos as these engage more with people that text alone.
- Continue to update your Twitter channel, ideally daily and if possible, over the weekend (schedule if needed).
- Use Twitter lists to stay in touch with those of a particular interest, ideal if you have many that you follow.
- Be human and not act as a business. People buy from people and won’t interact much with you if they think you are simply an extra shop front to your business.