Usually after a drink and food fuelled festive period we stumble across the time to be setting our New Yeas Resolution and goal setting for the year ahead… We at least for the first week of January!
So where did the New Year Resolution concept come from exactly?
“Religious origins. Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts. The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.” Wikipedia
I am sure many of you will have previously set yourself resolutions for the year ahead, usually positive and life changing ones, so what exact ones do we usually choose? Below are ten common New Years Resolutions:
- Keeping fit will be the most common topic to feature with three main areas being losing weight, exercising more and eating more healthily.
- Drinking less alcohol is another popular option especially for a dry January.
- Spending more time with close friends and family members is another resolution we make, for those we have kinda neglected throughout the last year which sometimes the festive season can get us thinking more about and bringing on guilt.
- Change of job will be for many a big goal for the year ahead.
- Learning a new skill such as music instruments, crafts, languages, art etc.
- Stopping smoking is such a great resolution for anyone, one that any smoker should adopt and get the support of family and friends to make an absolute success at.
- Money and success will be a big part of many peoples plans for the year ahead such as affording a bigger car, bigger house, holiday and more.
- Romance and weddings will be in some peoples minds as this will be the year to get married or find love.