Where you should be investing your hard-earned salary
Money doesn’t grow on trees, which is why it’s important to look after your earnings. While saving is one option – via a traditional savings account or (preferably) a tax-free cash ISA – you might also decide investing is an option you want to consider. By investing your money can go up as well as down, but you could potentially yield much higher returns than a typical savings account.
Choosing individual stocks and shares can be risky – by putting all your eggs in one basket you could be more liable to lose significant sums of money than someone who spreads their risk and reward more evenly over many different investments. That’s why a lot of people choose to buy a mutual fund. Mutual funds effectively pool together money from a number of small investors (usually individuals) which is then used to buy a wide range of assets such as bonds, stocks and property. Each fund tends to have a specific focus or goal and is looked after by a fund manager who aims to help grow the value of the fund over time.
One of the best ways to prepare for your long-term financial future is to start up a pension. It’s often said that state pensions are unlikely to be widely available in 20-30 years time so the importance of having a workplace pension or setting up a personal pension is growing all the time. A personal pension allows you to invest money with tax breaks each year, with the intention that it will grow steadily over many years to give you a decent retirement income in later life.
No matter which way you choose to invest, there are many financial service companies and banking groups out there that’ll give you a helping hand. Here’s a small selection of today’s popular choices.
A discretionary investment management company based in the UK, Nutmeg, specialises in developing tailored investment portfolios for a wide range of customers. You simply answer a few basic questions about how much risk you’d like to take and they’ll ensure your money is invested according to your specific wants and needs. Moreover, this award-winning company will also help you make the most of your stocks and share ISA limit and they have just launched a personal pension service that instantly adds the 25% government tax break – out of its own funds – when you make regular monthly contributions.
Nutmeg have been going a few years now and they have made a huge impression upon the financial industry for their hassle-free and no-nonsense investment approach. Let’s see what some of their customers had to say:
- “Nutmeg have taken away the burden of managing my money. I feel safe. With Nutmeg, I have an expert investment team.” — Fergus, chartered accountant
- “It’s much more convenient, much more accessible, and much more transparent.” — Andrew, company president
- “Found the most innovative investment business I have seen in years. Fantastic web interface and investing made simple.” — @jonathanwarren_
JP Morgan Chase & Co
JP Morgan Chase & Co is a leading global financial services firm and one of the largest banking institutions in the United States. They offer a wide range of financial products from ISAs to pensions and have the know-how and expertise to take the stress out of investing. In short, they’ll be with you every step of the way and with the JP Morgan SIPP allowing you to save for your retirement in a way that suits you, there’s every reason to invest with this company online. This leading firm also offers a range of portfolio management services allowing you to work closely with investment managers for peace of mind – great news if you’re new to the investment world.
Here’s what some of JP Morgan Chase & Co’s customers had to say:
- “Helpful and reliable investment service.”
- “With many pension options available I found it a bit baffling which one to choose, but JP Morgan put my mind allowing me to take control of my financial future.
- “Good customer service and fund rates.”
A well-established life, pensions and investment company located in Edinburgh, Scottish Widows plc offers a wide range of reliable products and services that’ll help make the most of your hard-earned cash. From asset management to personal pensions they provide financial expertise to an array of clients and as a subsidiary of Lloyds Banking group have the know-how and expertise to make your financial dreams become a reality. Their individual pensions cover both pre and post retirement and with options such as the Retirement Account, Stakeholder Pension and Annuities, you won’t be short of financial solutions.
Here’s are some reviews of Scottish Widows and the services they offer:
- “Scottish Widows has made decent efforts to do more than simply offer a lowest common denominator pension. It offers a reasonable menu of funds, competitive pricing and decent online facilities.”
- “Scottish Widows provides a very comprehensive package for a stakeholder pension, with good online facilities, a wide fund choice including the option of third-party funds, and a low charging structure.”
- “The pre-retirement pack explains annuities well. Good complaints department, good choice of funds with some external funds available. Also apparently interesting “passive” funds.”